University of Central Florida Assistant Director of Maintenance Records
Scope and Contents
Organized by project, the following papers encompass the history of FTU and UCF via the files of Mr. Buzz Clark, the former Assistant Director of Maintenance for the Physical Plant at UCF. These records include materials collected from over forty years of FTU and UCF physical plant activity. The collection contains blueprints, schematics, letters, memos, work orders, and official correspondence from multiple offices within and outside the university that describe the growth and development of FTU and UCF. In addition there are FFs of building blueprints, schematics and surveys.
These files contain the history of FTU and UCF covering a vast array of document types and topics ranging from blueprints and schematics of original university buildings and projects, such as the Library, Reflecting Pond, Howard Phillips Hall, Biological Sciences, maintenance and safety plans, administrative records from construction programs, photographs detailing project stages, utility specifications, environmental measurements, and legal documentation.
Highlights include information about the original MacKay land speculation, unfinished or unfeasible projects such as the FTU airport, and community projects like the Alafaya Trail road expansion. The collection shows how UCF developed into one of the largest public universities in the country. The unadulterated and unabridged nature of these records offers a unique insight into the history of UCF and promises to further the exploration of the university's history.
- Created: 1964-2000
- Clark, Buzz (Person)
Some files are restricted. Access to UCF Facilities drawings, documents, and sensitive data is available to authorized university staff and approved consultants only, per university policy, and under lawful exception to Florida's Public Records Law.
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
Biographical or Historical Information
The University of Central Florida Physical Plant began in 1967 as the primary facilitator of maintenance and utilities to the institution then called Florida Technological University. From it first utilities building and shop, built in 1968 and 1969 respectively, the FTU/UCF Physical Plant has grown and adapted to the ever increasing size and scope of the University of Central Florida. Duties including repairs, landscaping, waste disposal, fire safety systems management, and recycling are all aspects of the Physical Plant. In addition, the Physical Plant works with outside contractors in the physical expansion of UCF.
7 boxes (11 Linear Feet)
Language of Materials
The Assistant Director of Maintenance Records contain information concerning the growth of UCF since its inception. Among the documents in the collection are building blueprints, memos, work orders, photographs, letters, and official correspondence that detail UCF's physical growth.
This collection is organized alphabetically by project name within a single series.
Method of Acquisition
Buzz Clark transferred these materials to the University of Central Florida Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives in 2006 (CFU2006_43). Richard Paradise transferred additional materials in 2007 (CFU2007_08).
Accruals and Additions
Collection Identifier: CFU2006_43
Collection processed by and finding aid prepared by Ryan Groves in 2007. In processing this collection it was necessary to remove metal clips, blinders, and tape from many of the documents. Additionally, blueprints and schematics were transferred into flat storage drawers and photographs placed in protective plastic sleeves. The finding aid was updated for consistency among all collections by Mary Rubin in 2012, resulting in edition 2 of the finding aid. The finding aid was placed into Archon, with adjustments made for Archon and resulting in edition 3, by Mary Rubin in 2015. The acquisition method field and the subjects were updated by Kryslynn Collazo in 2018, resulting in edition 4.
- Blueprints Subject Source: Local sources
- Building -- Decision Making Subject Source: Local sources
- Building -- Design and Construction Subject Source: Local sources
- Building -- Details -- Drawings Subject Source: Local sources
- Buildings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Buildings -- Maintenance Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Campus Planning -- Florida -- Orlando Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Campus planning Subject Source: Local sources
- Central Florida Subject Source: Local sources
- Clark, Buzz
- Florida -- Orlando Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida Technological University Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida Technological University -- Buildings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida Technological University -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographic prints Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Universities and Colleges -- Florida Subject Source: Local sources
- Universities and colleges Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- Florida -- Orlando -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Central Florida Subject Source: Local sources
- University of Central Florida -- Buildings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Central Florida -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Central Florida Physical Plant Subject Source: Local sources
- University of Central Florida Assistant Director of Maintenance Records
- Ryan Groves
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the UCF University Archives Repository
Special Collections & University Archives
University of Central Florida Libraries
P.O. Box 162666
Orlando Florida 32816-2666 US