Michael O'Shaughnessy Collection
Scope and Contents
Series I: Media, Circa 1979-1981, 1987, 1990, 1993, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2005, 2008 contains 16mm film reels, audio cassettes, VHS cassettes, audio CDs, and DVD copies of footage collected on the early years of UCF Football and subsequent years following it.
Series II: Photographs, Circa 1973-1998, holds original as well as reproduced photographs showing UCF sports teams and players.
Series III: Documents, Circa 1979-1980, 1983, 1987-1998, 2002, 2005-2007, holds documents, newspaper articles, and journal articles related to UCF sports, professional sports, or Mr. O'Shaughnessy himself.
Series IV: Ephemera, Memorabilia, & Posters, 1978-1998, 2002-2009 contains ephemera including game tickets, parking passes, and buttons. Memorabilia includes a UCF basketball jersey, a football from the first home game against the Fort Benning Doughboys, football cleats, jacket, pants, socks, and towels.
- Created: 1973-2009
- Other: Majority of material found in 1979-1998
- Michael O'Shaughnessy (Person)
The entire collection is open for research.
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
Biographical or Historical Information
UCF Football began in January 1979 when the newly inaugurated Dr. Trevor Colbourn announced he would look into a football team for the university. Within several months, Dr. Colbourn and Athletics Director Jack O'Leary approved the formation of a new football team for UCF, which started play later that fall in NCAA Division III. Since then, UCF Football has seen enormous growth both with the success of its former players as well as its facilities. Several players went on to have stellar careers in the NFL, including UCF's most famous player, Daunte Culpepper. UCF Football came home to Brighthouse Networks Stadium in September 2007 (renamed Spectrum Stadium in 2017) after playing their first twenty eight seasons at the Florida Citrus Bowl (renamed Camping World Stadium in 2016) in downtown Orlando, Florida.
Mr. O'Shaughnessy is a graduate of UCF where he participated in varsity collegiate baseball and football and was a radio commentator for Sunshine Network Radio regarding UCF football. He is the proprietor of Michael O'Shaughnessy Real Estate Brokers, member of the Winter Park Development Corporation, and the founder of The Millennium Woman Foundation. Mr. O'Shaughnessy is also the author of the books Millennium Woman - A Guideline to Personal Security and Financial Prosperity for Today's Woman (2000) and Blue Collar Iron Man (2006). An avid paddleboarder, Mr. O'Shaughnessy holds three Guinness world records and two world records in the sport which includes the fastest crossing of the English Channel, Florida Straits, Cuba to the United States, Irish Sea and Scotland's largest body of fresh water, Loch Ness. In 2010, Mr. O'Shaughnessy was inducted into the UCF Athletics Hall of Fame. Mr. O'Shaughnessy is still active with UCF Athletics and resides in Ponce Inlet with his wife and children.
10 boxes (5.83 Linear Feet)
Language of Materials
The collection holds footage of primarily the UCF Knights Football team in various media formats, photographs, newspaper articles, journal articles, posters, ephemera, as well as those relating to Michael O'Shaughnessy.
This collection is arranged in four series chronologically.
Method of Acquisition
Michael O'Shaughnessy gifted these materials to the University of Central Florida Libraries, Special Collection and University Archives in 2006 (CFU2006_11) and in 2013 (CFU2013_08).
Accruals and Additions
Collection Identifier: CFU2006_11; Additions: CFU2013_08
Collection processed by and finding aid prepared by April Karlene Anderson in 2007. The photographs were placed in acid free folders and then housed in acid free containers. DVDs were removed from their original cases and placed in archival DVD sleeves. The poster was placed in an oversized acid free folder and stored in a flat file archives drawer. The finding aid was updated for consistency among all collections by Mary Rubin in 2012, resulting in edition 2. The finding aid was placed into Archon, with adjustments made for Archon and resulting in edition 3, by Mary Rubin in 2015. Additional materials processed by and finding aid edition 4 prepared by Steven Trelstad in 2017, in which the entire collection was overhauled from .5 linear feet to 5.83 linear feet. The acquisition method field and the subjects were updated by Kryslynn Collazo in 2018, resulting in edition 5.
- Audiocassettes Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Colbourn, H. Trevor Subject Source: Local sources
- College Football--United States--History Subject Source: Local sources
- College Sports Subject Source: Local sources
- Compact discs Subject Source: Local sources
- DVD-Video Discs Subject Source: Local sources
- Film negatives Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida -- Orlando Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida Technological University Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida Technological University -- Florida Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Football Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Football -- Florida -- Orlando Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Memorabilia Subject Source: Local sources
- News clippings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographic prints Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Posters Subject Source: Local sources
- Sports -- History Subject Source: Local sources
- UCF Golden Knights (football team) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- UCF Knights (football team) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Supreme Courts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and Colleges -- Florida Subject Source: Local sources
- Universities and Colleges--Alumni and alumnae--United States Subject Source: Local sources
- Universities and Colleges--Florida--Orlando--History Subject Source: Local sources
- Universities and colleges Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Central Florida Subject Source: Local sources
- University of Central Florida--Football Subject Source: Local sources
- University of Central Florida--Wrestling Subject Source: Local sources
- VHS Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Videocassettes Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- film footage Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- optical disc Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Michael O'Shaughnessy Collection
- April Karlene Anderson; Additions integrated by Steven Trelstad
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the UCF University Archives Repository
Special Collections & University Archives
University of Central Florida Libraries
P.O. Box 162666
Orlando Florida 32816-2666 US