Skip to main content

University of Central Florida Office of the President: Charles Norman Millican Presidential Papers

 Collection
Identifier: UA02B

Scope and Contents

Series I: University Planning, 1963-1968, contains materials concerning the initial planning for the University much of which was completed before Dr. Millican was appointed President. During this period, planning conferences took place, and the site for the University was chosen.

Series II: State University System, 1965-1978, contains materials that document the broad scope of the State University System that was the entity governed by the Board of Regents from 1965 to 2001. This series primarily holds documents created by or for the SUS, Board of Regents and Council of Presidents.

Series III: Business Affairs, 1963-1978, has a similar theme to Series I and holds materials concerning both overall plans and construction of individual buildings on the main campus. Several folders of materials record the zoning regulations of Orange and Seminole Counties that impacted the University and its environs. One subseries highlights the groundbreaking ceremony and includes a substantial photographic record of the event. Another large subseries documents construction projects with postcards and photographs of campus buildings. Buildings have changed their names since they were first built. The student center constructed at this time is the Village Center. The Administration building has since been renamed Millican Hall after President Millican. Science Auditorium is now the theatre.

Series IV: Academic Affairs, 1963-1978, houses materials concerning academic plans for the University and materials about Regional campuses. Faculty life and achievements are documented here including details of the Faculty Constitution and minutes of Faculty Meetings. Additionally, this series contains documents concerning events such as Dr. Millican's Inauguration, the First Honors Convocation and Commencement ceremonies. Of particular interest may be extensive correspondence arranging for President Richard M. Nixon to speak at Commencement in 1973.

Series V: Student Affairs, 1968-1978, holds materials concerning student life. Visitation, i.e., persons of opposite sexes visiting each other's dorms was a significant topic in the early 1970s and additional materials on the subject may be found in Series VII under Florida State Legislature. Consideration was given to ways of improving the university experience for students, and a report on the subject may be found in this series. Choice of the mascot and Alma Mater are highlights of this series as well as the proclamation of FTU week. Sport forms a small part of the series.

Series VI: Public Relations, 1965-1978, hold materials relating to events that fell under the auspices of the Director of Public Relations. Major events that occurred include the Initial Convocation and Dedication preceded by an Open House in 1968. Photographs of these events are also held in this series. The university celebrated the third anniversary of its groundbreaking in 1970, and a second Open House was held in 1977. The Public Relations Department also organized the publication of "Accent on the Individual" a history of the University, and an outline for the book may be found here.

Series VII: President's Office, 1963-2008, holds materials more directly related to Dr. Millican and his work. He lobbied the State Legislature hard to protect the University's interests, and several folders of correspondence attest to the work involved in staying in contact with politicians. Extensive correspondence explains the problems in naming the University and the subsequent efforts made to change it that did not succeed during Dr. Millican's period in office. A portrait was painted of President Millican by Robert Oliver Skemp and a bust sculpted of him by J. V. Spatafora. President Millican was honored by Mayor Carl Langford who proclaimed "Millican Day" on news of his resignation.

Dates

  • Created: 1963-2008

Creator

Access

Some files are restricted. Access to UCF Facilities drawings, documents, and sensitive data is available to authorized university staff and approved consultants only, per university policy, and under lawful exception to Florida's Public Records Law

Copyright Statement

Unpublished records are protected by copyright. Permission to publish quote or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

Biographical or Historical Information

Charles Norman Millican was born October 9, 1916 in Wilson, Arkansas. While studying for a B.S. in Business and Religion from Union University, he worked part-time as a reporter for Dun and Bradstreet. After graduating in 1941, he became pastor of the Olive Branch Baptist Church (Mississippi), while also briefly teaching high school science. Continuing with his church duties, he entered the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Kentucky before returning to Jackson to serve as the college coordinator for the Forty-fourth College Training Detachment USAAF (Army Air Corps) from 1943-1945. He married Frances Hilliard of Jackson, Tennessee on May 15, 1945. The following year, he received his M.A. in Economics from George Peabody College and became Acting Head of the Commerce Department at Union University. The Millicans moved to Florida in 1948 where Millican studied for his Ph.D. in Business Finance and Economics. At the University of Florida, he worked as a teaching assistant, instructor and finally as Assistant Professor. Although he was appointed Assistant Dean of the College of Business Administration in 1956, he moved almost immediately to Texas where he became Dean and Professor of the School of Business Administration at Hardin-Simmons University. In 1959, he returned to Florida to become Dean of the College of Business Administration at the University of South Florida.

When Dr. Millican was appointed President of the new university in 1965, the university had no name, no buildings, no faculty and no students; he had to create the university over which he would preside. After Millican's appointment, he hired staff, found premises, and began the slow process of creating his university. He recognized three basic principles which he firmly believed the new institution should adhere to: the value of each human being; the importance of the quality of one’s performance; and, the promotion of college spirit. In doing so, he established the twin tenets of "Accent on the Individual", "Accent on Excellence," which continue to guide the University, and the motto, "Reach for the Stars”. In addition, he co-designed the "Pegasus" official seal of the university. As early as 1969, Dr. Millican began working to establish a research park associated with the University. Although he retired as President in 1978, others continued his efforts resulting in the opening of the Central Florida Research Park in 1982. After retiring from the presidency, Millican returned to teaching finance as a professor in the College of Business at the University of Central Florida, as it was now known, and earned the title President Emeritus. After retiring from the University in 1981, Dr. Millican became the President of Lake Highland Preparatory School, serving from 1982-1985, and continued as President Emeritus-Consultant until 1993. Dr. Millican returned to serve the University in 1993 as President Emeritus and Special Assistant to the Chief Executive Officer of the UCF Foundation.

In addition to his career in higher education, Charles Millican has worked as a consultant to business firms and Florida Counties on economic growth and financial management and as a church pastor/pulpit supply minister. He chaired the Orange County Community Referendum Committee, which passed the resort tax that built the Orange County Convention Center. As chairman of the Orange County Association for Responsible Development, he created a plan to finance construction of a waste water treatment plant for the southeast quadrant of Orange County. His professional and civic affiliations have included, State Representative of the American Association of State Colleges and Universities, Board Member of the Orlando Area Chamber of Commerce, Heart of Florida United Way, First Federal Savings and Loan Association, Orlando, United Telecommunications Corporation, Florida and Shands Teaching Hospital, and membership in the Economic Development Commission of Mid-Florida and the Downtown Rotary Club, . He has received Distinguished Alumnus awards from both the University of Florida and Union University, and he received honorary LL.D. degrees from Rollins College and UCF.

Extent

10 boxes (8.8 Linear Feet)

Abstract

Charles N. Millican was the first President of Florida Technological University, serving from 1 December 1965 until 31 January 1978. This collection of his administrative papers documents the organization of Florida's university system during those years with particular reference to the decision to found a new university in Central Florida and the physical and philosophical construction of the university that would become the University of Central Florida. Millican's papers include his correspondence, speeches and reports, State University System reports, as well as minutes of the Board of Regents and the Council of Presidents meetings. Of particular interest are documents that were written before his appointment, which concern the establishment of the University, initial planning conferences, site selection and legislative lobbying. After his appointment, topics of historical significance include construction, five-year plan, groundbreaking, dedication and presidential inauguration. Photographs are distributed throughout the record group and show faculty, students, staff, administrators, buildings and dignitaries who had any involvement with the University or its president. All aspects of university life are represented in these papers, academic affairs and faculty achievements, student affairs, and administrative decisions. Commencement ceremonies are well documented especially President Richard M. Nixon's speech at the 1973 commencement. Other topics in the collection include evaluation of the president, college housing program, faculty opinions and regional campuses.

Arrangement Note

This collection is arranged in seven series by subject.

Method of Acquisition

The materials were transferred to the University Archives by the Office of the President in 1989 and on subsequent dates.

Accruals and Additions

Collection Identifier: CFU1989_01; Additions: CFU19XX_04, CFU2008_16

Related Materials

For more information on university archives, please see our website. Further information about this collection may be found in the University scrapbooks, which document Nixon's visit and Millican's inauguration, and the University of Central Florida Office of the President Collection. Additionally, Dr. Millican's work entitled "Financing Church Expansion", his portrait, and the bust sculpted of him are all preserved in the University Archives.

Processing Information

Collection processed by and finding aid prepared by Judith Beale in 2005. Minimal preservation work was necessary; metal paper clips were replaced by plastic clips; newspaper clippings were copied onto acid-free paper, and materials were placed in acid-free folders and cartons. Files arranged chronologically from the back were rearranged chronologically from the front. Publications were removed to be catalogued with other university publications. Sometime previously, most staples had been removed, which made it difficult to identify which papers belonged together. Social Security Numbers were removed. The finding aid was placed into Archon, with adjustments made for Archon and resulting in edition 2, by Mary Rubin in 2015.
Title
University of Central Florida Office of the President: Charles Norman Millican Presidential Papers
Author
Judith Beale
Date
2005
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the UCF University Archives Repository

Contact:
Special Collections & University Archives
University of Central Florida Libraries
P.O. Box 162666
Orlando Florida 32816-2666 US
(407) 823-2576