University of Central Florida Brevard Branch Campus History
Scope and Contents
Series I: History of Brevard Campus, 1966-1995, concentrates on the period between 1970 and 1980 when Tesori was the director. Earlier materials document his experience in New York that led to his being offered the post at FTU. One photograph shows the 1973 first graduating class. Notes in the appendix are dated as late as 1993 indicating that as a probable date when the history was written and the materials collated together.
- Created: 1966-1995
- Anthony P. Tesori (Person)
The entire collection is open for research.
Unpublished records are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder
Biographical or Historical Information
Florida Technological University's Continuing Education Center was located on the Brevard Community College Campus in Cocoa, Florida, and Anthony Tesori became its director in 1970. He initiated a survey that showed a demand for upper level classes to be taught locally. The university administration, the Board of Regents and the legislature supported the move, and Brevard Branch Campus was established in 1971. Classes in General Studies, Business Management and Elementary Education were offered initially. The campus became so popular that more classes were added and lack of space became a problem. Although an arrangement was made between FTU and Brevard Community College to share buildings, it did not solve the problem. In 1974, a prefabricated building was erected, which became the FTU Annex. It was 1980 before construction began on the Lifelong Learning Center by which time Tesori wished to retire as director. He consented to remain as Construction Coordinator to see the project through to its conclusion.
By 1996, continued demand for classes made additional space a necessity, and UCF began using Brevard Community College facilities in Melbourne and Palm Bay. The latter developed into the Palm Bay Center in 2000. The demand for education away from the main campus continued to increase and in 2001, UCF began to partner with Lake Sumter, Seminole and Valencia Community Colleges. Michael Sweeney was appointed Vice Provost for UCF Area Campuses in 2003 at which time UCF offered classes in an eleven county area. Brevard county remained important and classes were also offered at the Kennedy Space Center. In 2004, the campuses were renamed as Regional Campuses, and in 2005 a new UCF Regional campus Vice Provost was appointed, David Harrison. As space restrictions at the main campus prevent further expansion, UCF regional campuses can only become more significant in the future.
1 Box (0.2 Linear Feet)
Language of Materials
A history of the Brevard campus from 1966 to 1983 with an appendix consisting of photocopies of correspondence, memoranda, news clippings, news releases and pamphlets which documents the establishment of the Brevard campus and the 2+2 program as well as the career of Anthony P. Tesori.
The records are arranged in one series with a brief overview at the beginning that explains the contents followed by a typescript of the history of Brevard Branch Campus with a long appendix comprising photocopies of correspondence, news clippings, press releases and pamphlets as well as original photographs.
Method of Acquisition
It is unknown who transferred these materials to the University of Central Florida Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives in 19XX (CFU19XX_13. It is believed Anthony P. Tesori donated these materials to the University of Central Florida Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives in 19XX.
Accruals and Additions
Collection Identifier: CFU19XX_13
Collection processed by and finding aid prepared by Judith Beale in 2006. Materials were removed from a binder and placed in acid-free folders and box. Social Security numbers were deleted. The finding aid was updated for consistency among all collections by Mary Rubin in 2012, resulting in edition 2 of the finding aid. The finding aid was placed into Archon, with adjustments made for Archon and resulting in edition 3, by Mary Rubin in 2015. The acquisition method field and the subjects were updated by Kryslynn Collazo in 2018, resulting in edition 4.
- Brevard Community College Subject Source: Local sources
- Brevard Community College -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida Technological University Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida Technological University -- Annex Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida Technological University -- Continuing Education Center Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Regional Campuses Subject Source: Local sources
- Tesori, Anthony P. Subject Source: Local sources
- Universities and Colleges -- Florida Subject Source: Local sources
- Universities and colleges -- Florida -- Cocoa Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- Florida -- Melbourne Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- Florida -- Orlando Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- Florida -- Palm Bay Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Central Florida Subject Source: Local sources
- University of Central Florida -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Central Florida Brevard Branch Campus History
- Judith Beale
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the UCF University Archives Repository
Special Collections & University Archives
University of Central Florida Libraries
P.O. Box 162666
Orlando Florida 32816-2666 US