Mary Monroe Theatre Collection
Scope and Contents
Series I: Performances, 1973-2016 includes photographs, news clippings, and programs related to the theatre productions in the 1970s. Additionally, there is a narrative that was produced by Monroe in 2016 that gives further insight into the productions.
- Created: 1973-2016
- Other: Majority of material found in 1973-1976
- Monroe, Mary (Person)
The entire collection is open for research.
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
Biographical or Historical Information
Mary Monroe attended Florida Technological University (FTU), now University of Central Florida, from 1973 to 1976. During her time in the theatre program, she performed in many productions and even produced The Night Thoreau Spent in Jail.
Since her time at FTU, Monroe's career has been devoted to the development of new work in support of playwrights, screenwriters, and related performing artists, nationally and internationally. She has created several national programs and New York City (NYC)-based nonprofit companies, to benefit thousands of artists, across mediums, from college students to accomplished professionals.
A sampling of her work as a union stage director and independent nonprofit producer includes venues such as: Ensemble Studio Theatre, The Public (New York Shakespeare Festival), LaMama E.T.C., Provincetown Playhouse, Circle East (formerly Circle Rep Lab), H.E.R.E., New Dramatists, BACA/Downtown, Indiana Rep., North Light Rep. (now Northlight), etc.
Monroe worked with graduate playwriting and screenwriting students as a professional director adjunct with NYU Tisch School of the Arts' Dramatic Writing Program and as a Regional Playwriting Chair for the Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival. Monroe has been a Board President of several NYC and national nonprofit arts organizations devoted to supporting performing artists. She has received a number of honors, including the Kennedy Center Bronze Medal, she was elected an Associate of the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA), and she was a recipient of a Theatre Communications Group Observership. She is a full graduate of RADA.
1 boxes (1 flat file, 0.6 Linear Feet)
Language of Materials
Mary Monroe was a theatre student at FTU in the 1970s. Her collection of photographs, news clippings, and programs document the theatre performances during that time.
This collection is arranged into one series: Performances, 1973-2016. With the exception of the first three folders, original order was maintained.
Method of Acquisition
Mary Monroe gifted these materials to the University of Central Florida Libraries, Special Collection and University Archives in 2005 (CFU2005_18).
Accruals and Additions
Collection Identifier: CFM2005_18
Collection processed by and finding aid prepared by Mary Rubin in 2016. The scrapbook was taken apart and its documents were placed in acid free folders in an acid free box. Photographs were placed into archival quality sleeves. Newspaper clippings were placed between acid free papers. Magnetic pages, which originally housed the photographs and newspaper clippings, were thrown away. All staples were removed and replaced with plastic clips. The acquisition method field and the subjects were updated by Kryslynn Collazo in 2018, resulting in edition 2.
- Florida Technological University Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida Technological University -- Dept. of Theatre Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Letters Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Monroe, Mary
- Paper Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographic prints Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Theater -- Florida -- Orlando Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- UCF Conservatory Theatre Subject Source: Local sources
- Universities and Colleges -- Florida Subject Source: Local sources
- Universities and colleges -- Florida -- Orlando Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Central Florida Subject Source: Local sources
- University of Central Florida -- Dept. of Theatre Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- newspaper clippings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- programs (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Mary Monroe Theatre Collection
- Mary Rubin
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the UCF University Archives Repository
Special Collections & University Archives
University of Central Florida Libraries
P.O. Box 162666
Orlando Florida 32816-2666 US