Michael Berman Negatives and Contact Sheets
Scope and Contents
Series I: Proof Sheets, c. 1970s, includes scanned images of negatives. It is divided into two subseries: black and white, and color.
Series II: Negatives, c. 1970s, includes negatives. It is divided into two subseries: black and white, and color.
- Created: circa 1970s
- Michael Berman (Person)
The entire collection is open for research.
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
Biographical or Historical Information
Michael J. Berman attended Nova High School in Ft. Lauderdale, and graduated from Vanguard High School in Ocala, before studying at Florida Technological University (FTU), now University of Central Florida, in Orlando, Florida.
Michael Berman received his B.S. in Physics from FTU in 1975 and a B.A. in Theatre in 1976. During his time at FTU and afterward, he was very active in photography, taking photos for the University theatre department and the campus newspaper, as both a photographer and a photo editor. He also produced the first Holograms on campus.
After the completion of his studies at FTU, Michael began a successful career as an individual contributor and engineering manager in semiconductor manufacturing at different companies, including AMD in Silicon Valley and LSI Logic in Portland. While at the latter, he was named the Inventor of the Year in 2002 and Outstanding Patent Liaison of the Year in 2003. He also completed five major fab start-ups in the USA and Southeast Asia.
During his time in the private sector, he published over a dozen papers and was granted over 50 US patents. In 2004 he joined the Micro/Nano Fabrication Center of University of Arizona, where he has been a nanotechnologist and chairman for 12 years. In 2009, he also joined Tempronics as the Director of Manufacturing. He retired in May 2016.
8 boxes (3.75 Linear Feet)
Language of Materials
In the 1970s, Michael Berman was taking photographs for the Theatre Department of the Florida Technological University (now, University of Central Florida) and the campus newspaper, the Central Florida Future. Taken while attending and then working at the university, the collection contains black and white and color negatives that depict moments of the everyday life at the university, theatrical acts, various events both on and outside of campus, portraits, as well as nature scenes.
This collection is arranged in two series: Proof Sheets and Negatives. Both series are broken down into two subseries: Black and White, and Color. All items are arranged in their original numerological order within the subseries.
Method of Acquisition
Michael Berman gifted these materials to the University of Central Florida Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives in 2015 (CFU2015_46) and in 2016 (CFU2016_47).
Accruals and Additions
Previous Collection Identifier: CFU2015_46
Collection processed by Renata Nagy and Melody Green and finding aid prepared by Renata Nagy in 2017. Photographs and negative strips were placed into archival quality sleeves, which were put in acid-free folders in acid-free boxes. The acquisition method field and the subjects were updated by Kryslynn Collazo in 2018, resulting in edition 2.
- Berman, Michael Subject Source: Local sources
- Film transparencies Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida Technological University Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida Technological University -- Dept. of Theatre -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida Technological University -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Orlando Repertory Theatre Subject Source: Local sources
- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- UCF Conservatory Theatre Subject Source: Local sources
- Universities and Colleges -- Florida Subject Source: Local sources
- University of Central Florida Subject Source: Local sources
- University of Central Florida -- Dept. of Theatre Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Central Florida -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- contact sheets Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Michael Berman Negatives and Contact Sheets
- Renata Nagy
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the UCF University Archives Repository
Special Collections & University Archives
University of Central Florida Libraries
P.O. Box 162666
Orlando Florida 32816-2666 US