University of Central Florida Brevard Regional Campuses Collection
Scope and Contents
Series I: UCF Campuses, 2002-2014 contains programs, reports, booklets, binders, articles, and pamphlets relating to UCF Regional Campuses, Partnerships, and Personnel.
Series II: Photographs, undated contains film copies, photos, and proofs showcasing UCF and the university's partnership with BCC.
Series III: Newspapers, 2001-2014 & undated contains news clippings and newspapers relating to UCF and the university's impact in Brevard County, Florida.
Series IV: Media, 1991-1997 & undated contains VHS, Cassette, and DVD recordings of events hosted by or about UCF.
- Created: 1991-2014
- Other: Majority of material found in 2002-2009
- Megan Haught (Person)
The entire collection is open for research.
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
Biographical or Historical Information
Since the inception of the University of Central Florida (formerly known as the Florida Technological University) in 1968, one of the university's goals was to bring education to the people. Some of the oldest partnerships UCF has had is with its neighbors to the north (Volusia County) and the east (Brevard County).
Beginning in the Fall of 1970, the university began offering Master's degree classes in Elementary, Secondary, Business, and Physical education in partnership with the Cocoa Center for Continuing Education. The following two years saw partnerships with Eastern Florida State College (formerly known as Brevard Community College) and Daytona State College (formerly known as Daytona Beach Community College). In fall 1971, the university began offering Bachelor's degree classes in Elementary Education and General Studies at Brevard and Law Enforcement at Daytona. Both offered courses in Business Administration and eventually Engineering Technology in fall 1972. In 1972 the university also began partnering with Patrick Air Force Base and approved of the establishment of an Air Force ROTC Program, which was the first-time community college graduates were eligible to join. Not only did the success of these partnerships lead to the expansion of the established off-campus resident centers, but also led to additional centers throughout Central Florida.
For example, the expansion of the original off-campus resident centers resulted in multiple locations across the Eastern Florida State College System. Both online and on-campus degree programs for both bachelors and masters offered include nursing, psychology, anthropology, aerospace engineering, et al. Several structures have been created to mark the partnerships between UCF and the institutions they have partnered with including the Clark Maxwell, Jr. Lifelong Learning Center in Cocoa and several libraries across the various Regional Campuses (now UCF Connect) locations. Brevard County has remained an essential outpost for UCF through the university's work with Kennedy Space Center and their partnership with Florida Solar Energy Center, both of which provide classes and work for UCF students and alumni.
The off-campus centers became known as the UCF Regional Campuses in 2004 and then changed names to UCF Connect in 2017. In more recent years, UCF has relied on not only the space provided by these campuses but the surrounding benefits of the regional campuses locations. The growing number of alumni graduating from UCF is due to the flexible and available nature of the university. These regional campuses are and will continue to be essential parts of the growth and expansion of UCF.
3 boxes (1 Flat File, 2.1 Linear Feet)
Language of Materials
The vision of the UCF Regional Campuses is to create an innovative approach to provide access and opportunity in the lives of students, faculty, and staff through the university's expanding partnerships to maintain a commitment to excellence. This collection of records contains documents, photographs, and media relating to UCF's partnership with Brevard Community College and the university's campus locations, including Cocoa and Palm Bay both of which are in Brevard County.
This collection is arranged in four series chronologically then alphabetically.
Method of Acquisition
Megan Haught transferred these materials to the University of Central Florida Libraries, Special Collection and University Archives in 2015 (CFU2015_22). Al Davis transferred additional materials in 2016 (CFU2016_09). Dr. Lauren Miller transferred additional materials in 2016 (CFU2016_54).
Accruals and Additions
Previous Collection Identifier: CFU2015_22; CFU2016_09; CFU2016_54
Collection processed by and finding aid prepared by Kryslynn Collazo in 2018. Staples, paperclips, and materials located in three ring binders were removed and replaced with plastic clips. All materials were placed into acid free folders and in acid free boxes. Only three versions of publications were kept and all additional copies were recycled. Oversized documents were placed into a flat file. All media are being properly housed upon digitization for preservation purposes.
- Altman, Steven
- Brevard Community College Subject Source: Local sources
- Brevard Community College -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clark Maxwell, Jr. Lifelong Learning Center Subject Source: Local sources
- Denise Young
- Florida Technological University Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida Technological University -- Annex Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida Technological University -- Continuing Education Center Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida Technological University -- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Hitt, John C. Subject Source: Local sources
- Regional Campuses Subject Source: Local sources
- Space Coast Subject Source: Local sources
- UCF Direct Connect Subject Source: Local sources
- UCF Regional Campus System Subject Source: Local sources
- Universities and Colleges -- Florida Subject Source: Local sources
- Universities and colleges -- Florida -- Cocoa Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- Florida -- Palm Bay Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Central Florida Subject Source: Local sources
- University of Central Florida -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Central Florida -- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- VHS Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Central Florida Brevard Regional Campuses Collection
- Kryslynn Collazo
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the UCF University Archives Repository
Special Collections & University Archives
University of Central Florida Libraries
P.O. Box 162666
Orlando Florida 32816-2666 US