Steven Craig Trelstad Olustee Battlefield Research Papers
Collection Scope and Content
Series I: Research Materials, 1986, 2010-2018, Undated, is divided into nine folders containing 3 publications, an itinerary, 7 reports written by Christopher M. Lydick, and 8 small maps related to the Olustee battlefield.
- 1986, 2010-2018, Undated
- Majority of material found within 2010-2018
Language of Materials
The materials are written in English
The entire collection is open for research.
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
The collection contains assessment reports, management summaries, and notification of undertakings written by Osceola National Forest Service District Historian/Archaeologist Christopher M. Lydick from 2010 to 2017. These written materials mostly pertain to assessing the effects on the Olustee Battlefield Historic State Park by the annual Battle of Olustee Reenactment that takes place near the anniversary of the 1864 American Civil War battle (February 20th). Also included is Lydick's report regarding the 2015 Wildfire Season's effects (and the suppression techniques employed) on the park. Various maps dating no later than 2018 are included in the collection, depicting which federal or state agencies control what portions of the park and the different phases of the 1864 Battle of Olustee. A staff itinerary booklet for the 2010 Battle of Olustee Reenactment is also included in the collection.
A few publications are included in the collection. The fourth issue of volume 3 of the Blue and Gray Magazine is included as the Battle of Olustee was the main topic of the issue. According to Jeff Grzelak, reenactor and member of the Olustee State Park Citizens Support Organization, the issue helped spur the campaign for a monument to the Union dead that was erected in 1991. The 2015 Battle of Olustee Reenactment & Festival souvenir magazine is also included, which provides information about the history of the Olustee reenactment and the reenactors themselves. The second issue of volume 2 of the Job Corps Civilian Conservation Center Courier highlights the efforts by Christopher M. Lydick to rehabilitate the Confederate earthworks assiciated with the site with the Davidson River Fire Crew.
These documents were collected by Steven Craig Trelstad in 2018 to be used as research materials for his master's degree thesis, "Civil War Memory and the Preservation of the Olustee Battlefield."
0.25 Linear Feet (1 Box)
The collection consists of reports, itinerary, maps, and magazines related to the American Civil War Battle of Olustee, the Olustee Battle Festival and Reenactment, and the Olustee Battlefield Historic State Park.
The collection is currently arranged alphabetically in one quarter box.
Steven Craig Trelstad donated these materials to the University of Central Florida Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives in 2019, (CFM2019_13).
- American Civil War (1861-1865) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida. Forest and Park Service Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Historic preservation--Florida. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Historical reenactment Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Olustee (Fla.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Olustee, Battle of, Olustee, Fla., 1864 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Olustee, Battle of, Olustee, Fla., 1864--Sources. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Osceola National Forest (Fla.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Osceola National Forest (Fla.)--Maps. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Forest Service. National Forests in Florida Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Steven Craig Trelstad Olustee Battlefield Research Papers, 1986, 2010-2018, Undated
- Processed by Steven Craig Trelstad; finding aid prepared by Steven Craig Trelstad
- © 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Description is written in English
Part of the UCF Special Collections Repository
Special Collections & University Archives
University of Central Florida Libraries
P.O. Box 162666
Orlando Florida 32816-2666 US